Thursday, March 22, 2012

Pushing Tin


Snow Falling from Cedars, Series (1 of 3)


I've chosen painting on photographs - aluminum sheets!
Its getting some attention too!

I've had the balls to take a class at The U of C on "How To Make Art Your Business"! 
I've also been enrolled in art classes with Jon Williams, who unfortunately is retiring soon so my time is limited with him. I love the classes. 

This is my first "tin" as I like to call them. Shot in Elkford, BC. 
I've painted the snow on the tree tips with Mica Flake so it glistens like real ice!

High Gloss Metal is a very unique medium for presenting images. The process involves
infusing dye directly into a coated aluminum substrate. 
(It’s a dye-sublimation transfer heated onto pre-coated aluminum).

The end result is a vibrant impressive print with great detail and resolution.
The aluminum is fixed with an extruded aluminum frame, inset on the back, which allows for a modern way to hang and display these prints.

The photograph is then hand painted with acrylic textured gels such as, Micaceous Iron Oxide, Pearl Mica Flake and acrylic fluid iridescent and interference paints as well as liquid inks that provide a true metallic look/sheen that will not tarnish with age. 
A high gloss spray varnish is then applied for longevity.

Details of the Mica Flake


My next tin painting project was shot when I went home to Montreal to recover my mothers remains in September. It was taken along Ontario's North Shore in Algoma District.

Trails End Road, Algoma Bay, Ontario

This is the image in black and white, the painted aluminum will be completed in a few days. 
It is quite a large tin (20x30). It is very detailed with fall colors and many types of shoreline old growth glistening deep green trees and mosses on the rocks so its labor intensive! 
I'm already getting great feedback and its only half painted!

I have an Etsy storefront, so the tins are for sale directly from the online site:


Visit often, as I have five tins lined up for the easel waiting to be given life!
Work, work, work, LOV'IN IT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment